I do not drive in the most expensive cars, travel the world, nor pop champagnes with stars, and yet, I am very satisfied.
Much happier than months ago, when I spent a lot and was in debt, when I worked a job that paid fairly well, and had no time for my loved ones and myself.
How have I achieved this? With small tricks. The honest truth is, you don’t need a lot to live well — all you need is the correct mindset.
Here is what I have come to know about living well on moderate resources.
1. You don’t need that much to be happy. Some simple clothes, food, shelter, a meaningful work, and some loved ones are all you need.
2. Want more, and you are poor. You can have a lot of properties, but if you always want more, you are poorer than the person who has little and wants nothing.
3. Live in the present moment. Quit worrying about what the future may bring, and holding onto the past. How much time is spent thinking about things other than where you are and what you are doing? Live now and you live fully.
4. Enjoy who you are and what you have. Most times we pray to be doing something else, we wish to be at some other place, with other individuals, making changes to what we already have. What we have is good enough.
5. Be thankful for the little things in life. Brew hot tea at home. Simple pleasures that are way better than rich sugary drinks, fried foods if you learn to enjoy them fully. A good book borrowed from a friend, a walk in the park with a loved one etc. These simple pleasures are living well, without needing too much.
6. Be motivated by joy and not anxiety . Instead of being driven by fear of losing something, the fear of missing out, or the fear of losing something, do things because they give you or others happiness.
7. Do good all the time. Compassion for others creates loving, rewarding relationships. Compassion for yourself means forgiving yourself for old mistakes, keeping yourself well, having positive self-love for who you are.
8. Productivity and numbers are not all that matters. If your self-drive is to obtain specific numbers (aims), you have almost certainly lost sight of what is important. Today is a gift, and should not be completely filled with every possible thing — spend time enjoying it and what you are carrying out.